Locations

 

 

 

 

LAND OF PITAGORA

B01 - TEMPLE OF HERA

 The Greek Temple of Hera was built in the 6th century BC next to the Bradano, a sacred and essential river in the conception and thought of the Achaeans who in 773 BC,

B02 - CRUCINIA NECROPOLIS

The Necropolis of Metaponto is structured in a dense network of roads, canals and land limits whose greatest concentrations are in the districts Crucinia and Casa Ricotta,

B03 - ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK OF THE URBAN AREA

The Archaeological Park, located north of the modern residential area of Metaponto, is the site that represents the heart of the ancient city. It includes the urban sanctuary,

B04 - PYTHAGORAS MONUMENT

The Pythagoras monument is located in the residential centre of Metaponto, in Piazza Giovanni XXIII. It is the first statue in the world in classical style, in a man-size placed in a shrine,

B05 - NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM

It was created in the 1970s thanks to the Romanian archaeologist Dino Adamesteanu, the first Superintendent of Basilicata and the creator of a great excavation campaign which,

B06 - TORREMARE CASTLE

Since 1167 the area of Metaponto, whose name seemed to be lost along with the splendor of Magna Graecia, took to call Torre di Mare (as evidenced by a bilingual document in Greek and Latin and a Frederick's act),

B07 - METAPONTO BEACH

Not far from the famous archaeological sites of Magna Graecia lies the large sandy beach overlooking the Ionian Sea, on the stretch of coastline between the Bradano and Basento rivers.

B08 - SALINELLA LAKE

Lake Salinella is one of the most evocative naturalistic destinations in the entire Ionian area. It is a backdunal coastal lake, located along the border between Puglia and Basilicata,

B09 - PANTANELLO

Located near the ancient crossroads between the road leading to the chora and the coastal road, Pantanello is one of the most investigated archaeological sites in Metaponto. T

B10 - THE CASTLE OF BERNALDA

The Medieval Castle, symbol of the town of Bernalda, was built in 1470 at the behest of Bernardino De Bernaudo, secretary to King Alfonso II of Aragon, who acquired the fiefdom.

B11- PALAZZO MARGHERITA

Built at the end of the 19th century, Palazzo Margherita is the best known of Bernalda's historic residences and is protected by the Superintendence of Architectural Heritage.

B12 - ST DONATO CHURCH

The Church of St Donato is located at the northern end of the town's main street, Corso Umberto.

Contatti

Piazza Plebiscito snc

75012 Bernalda (MT)

+39 0835 540 214