On the border between Bernalda and Montescaglioso, the Bufalara Wood is a holm oak wood on the north side of the ditch of the same name.
LAND OF PITAGORA
Situated on a slope overlooking the River Basento, 10 km from Metaponto, on the edge of the chora, Sant'Angelo Vecchio covers an area frequented from the 6th to the 2nd century BC and was one of the most important and richest farms in Magna Graecia due to its strategic position and the presence of water sources.
The fortunate geographical position of the S. Salvatore site, 6 km from the ancient town of Metapontion, on a terrace to the right of the Bradano River, has favoured stable settlement forms in the area since the Bronze Age, a period to which a necropolis dates.
Erected on high ground near the Bradano river, the fortified Casale di San Marco was a farm complex donated in 1093 by Unfredo d'Altavilla, lord of the fiefdom, to the Abbey of Santa Maria di Banzi and later, in the 15th century, to Francesco del Balzo, Count of Montescaglioso.